Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The place where people go to die.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did you discover Hetalia?

Go down 
+10
Alfred F. Jones
Arthur Kirkland
Heracles Karpusi
Mikkel Syvertsen
Berwald Oxenstierna
Feliciano Vargas
Lovino Vargas
Sebastian Møller
Im Yong Soo
Ludwig Eichmann
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Ludwig Eichmann

Ludwig Eichmann

How did you discover Hetalia? Empty
PostSubject: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 12:33 am

I thought I'd kick things off on this forum, encourage some off-topic banter and whatnot. Also, this would be much more useful since alot of us live in different time-zones, and can't always interact on the chat-box this would be an alternative way of getting to know people, etc.

Ironically enough, the first topic on the OOC forum is Hetalia-related (xP)

So how did you, fellow member, discover Axis Powers: Hetalia? How long have you been following the anime? Reading the strips? Been obsessing over FrUK, or whatever..

For myself, I actually discovered Hetalia through a friend of mine I had met at summer school. She's Japanese and lives in Bangkok. One of her main hobbies is cosplaying, and nearly every month she attends conventions/events/you name it, and on her deviantart she posts these amazing photos of her cosplaying different characters from various anime and manga. One day, I noticed her cosplay of Prussia which intrigued me to quite an extent, so I looked up the character and discovered Hetalia. I've been shamelessly amusing myself ever since.

My friends' deviantart. She does an AMAZING cosplay of Turkey that is not to be missed

Last edited by Ludwig Eichmann on Thu May 06, 2010 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Im Yong Soo

Im Yong Soo

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:54 am

*w*
I love your friends cosplays! I'm jealous...

I've only started to watch Hetalia 2 months, so I'm still noticing things I haven't seen. Though I like Yao's little panda tattoo/brithmark/whatever-it-is that I JUST noticed...
I'm more or less obsessed with the BADASS TRIO, although they don't show up much together, as far as I've seen...

My school had this event where you can dress up as your favorite cartoon character. While I see so many Pokemon trainers walking down the hallways, my friend decided to cosplay as China. I was curious, at the time, why the character was named China, so I watched my first episode of Hetalia at school?! I got hooked and still LOVE it, but my friend has switched her obsession to the Jonas Brothers now...TT^TT. She'll still talk about Hetalia sometimes, though, so she's not lost! X3
Back to top Go down
Sebastian Møller
Admin // Basketcase
Sebastian Møller

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 8:59 am

Ah! Awesome that you started an OOC thread! <33

Nice topic too.

I would have to saaay. I discovered Hetalia when it first started getting recognized, which.. for me was 2006-2007. But the funny thing is I watched one of two episodes and thought 'Omg, this is so stupid!' and dropped it. Then a friend came along and showed me pictures of it, because in 06-07 there was hardly any pictures of it, well from what I could find.

In 2008 I got back into it, that means drawing it, rping it, I hadn't quite started cosplaying it, because I wasn't sure who I wanted to be or any of that. Then in 2009 I cosplayed England, seeing as that was who I rped the most and had a feel of his character. Now I'm starting to branch out. I going to be cosplaying Russia in September, and I now plan of cosplaying Denmark, Prussia ( this costume though, http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Axis-Powers-hetalia-APH-Prussia-COSPLAY-COSTUME-/120563270112?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c122181e0#ht_6838wt_1167 ), and quite possible someone else in the distant future. Also my goal is to also cosplay a SteamPunk!Denmark.

Teehee, but that's about it. Though I'm now collecting Hetalia keychains. <3 and will soon collect flags and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
https://aphasylum.rpg-board.net
Lovino Vargas

Lovino Vargas

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 10:34 am

My very first introduction to Hetalia, although I didn't recognise it at the time, was in 2006. One of my friends is the translator who did most of the Sealand comics, and she was cosplaying him at my local con. Granted, I thought she was Momiji from Fruits Basket, but now that I look back and see the costume, I see the little brat for what he is. <3

My first -real- intro to the series was probably at Naka-Kon (although I'm fucked if I can remember what year it was; the con kind of sucked, and I got super-sick directly afterwards). I saw America, England, and Canada wandering the hallways, and my Riku told me it was Hetalia cosplay. I got home, and while I was suffering from bronchitis, I looked the series up and have been addicted ever since.

Hetalia holds a really special place in my heart, despite it being as silly/goofy/offensive/what have you as it is. When I went to Anime Boston this year, it was to meet up with Feliciano, along with a bunch of other people from the Facebook role-play community. These are people that, despite only having met them last May, I feel like I've known them my whole life. Hetalia has given me friends I never would have met without the series. It's given me my second family.

Wife, I miss you. Q_____Q You don't even know.
Back to top Go down
Feliciano Vargas

Feliciano Vargas

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 12:20 pm

I started liking Hetalia in my senior year of high school, so somewhere in 2007 or 2008. I wasn't obsessed or anything like now, but I began poking around and looking at things online. If I look back in my high school sketchbook, there are doodled of America, Canada, Russia, and England acting like spazzes, so I know it at least held my interest haha. I didn't really like anime anymore actually. So I am surprised I liked it again.

When I entered my first semester of college I took Western Civilizations II. Apparently that made me more interested too (I have a horrible memory haha.) but there are little Hetalia doodles all over my notes. Over Christmas break I remember becoming obsessed with it. Not creepy obsessed but I loved it. Asian Civilizations next semester helped me be more amused, since I was still alone with my fandom. But the middle of that semester though, my love was growing and growing! I loved re-reading the comics.

And then it was that March that I joined the Hetalia Facebook RP with about five other people as Lithuania, and then Spain a few days later. I had never done that in my life, and thought I would stop....it has been over a year now and I see I was wrong though hahaa. That place is what got me more into the fandom. I made friends who I loved with all my heart who liked the series. I had no one in real life who liked it so I was happy! The character of Spain really just...kept me there pff. Everything was Hetalia heh. All summer I stayed with them and did more things online and just everything was Hetalia. That year I also went to my first 2 conventions. I saw lots of Hetalia and was so excited.

I met my now friend, and my Sealand, Amanda at school at the beginning of the next year. She was fascinated with my desktop background of the dysfunctional family because of all the flags. I told her to watch it and gave her all the episodes out. She loved it and I was excited. We heard of a Hetalia Christmas meetup in Boston. It was cosplay, so of course we wanted to go and meet other people. I never cosplayed before in my life. After much deliberation I cosplayed gakuen!Spain and the night before the meetup we stayed up all night sewing Sealand's outfit!

It was then that I met the people I love, my Hetalia family! I was shy, but had a great time and everyone loved me and it was just amazing. So many wanted to keep in contact. It was an amazing day. Next thing I knew I was being invited to more events and in January I went to another as Spain. There were so many more people. Me and my now cosplay partner, Romano finally had enough courage and pushing from friends to talk to one another, and I met one of my best friends, and my Lovino. I also had my own little group. I loved it. That day was the one that changed everything more. I had gotten more phone numbers and my family had grown! On the Valentines meet, it only got better. I love though guys so much.

Then Anime Boston came around this year. It was amazing. I met even more people, and became closer friends with a lot. And I got to meet lots of people from the Facebook RP community, like Lovino from this website! Loviiii I love youuu. QAQ So many people. My Hetalia family grew even bigger! That con brought together so many important people in my life, and made me have friends I never thought I would make like that. It is all because of Hetalia. <3

I look forward to lots more Hetalia fun this summer, and next year! It is my favorite fandom ever and means a lot to me. Baww. I have been trying to be more adventurous with other characters and such!

Lovino I miss you too so much with all my heart. -sob-
Back to top Go down
http://teamrocket.deviantart.com
Lovino Vargas

Lovino Vargas

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 1:09 pm

-cuddlepuddle- Q______________________Q
Back to top Go down
Berwald Oxenstierna

Berwald Oxenstierna

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 3:42 pm

steampunk!Denny???

I approve!

like totally

okay how did i discover Hetalia hmmmm well I would firstly and totally blame my friend aka my irl denny like totally. i remember her coming over one day so that she can scan a few drawings she drew and kidnap my tablet. Then after that she kinda hijacked my computer and showed me some Hetalia MADs and some comic strips = instantly hooked. like seriously. ahaha love train MAD 8"D

this happeennnnedd...... when ah....

2008? no can't be....can't be 2009... oh wait... can it? 2009 most possibly... though i'm really not sure... possibly 2008... it FEELS like 2008... but my logical brain said that it couldn't be 2008 it must to 2009. but i remember drawing something back then and i remember it being one of my 14 year old styled drawings... but ----- wait was i friends with her in 2008? idk... was I? i think so. but that was only in 2009 wasn't it? ugh i'll ask her later. idk everything seems so long ago.

soo 2008/2009 timeline ish

so yeah first love and only love 8Db

until something else comes along.

but i doubt anything else will be as good as hetalia

for me anyway <3
Back to top Go down
Mikkel Syvertsen

Mikkel Syvertsen

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:12 pm

Hm... That is, if anything, a funny story.

So, this friend of mine, one day showed me a drawing of a guy with the USA flag, glasses, blond hair and the most arrogant grin ever (yeah, y'know who I'm talking about...), and she linked me to this pic and said "Look, he has your grin!". Yeah... So, I asked her where the hell did that boy came from - I supposed it was from one of those movies like Flyboys, y'know, given the coat - but she couldn't tell.

So, I did the most brilliant thing ever, I noticed that besides the drawing was written "Alfred, USA" and well, I googled that. I found two Alfreds, the Hetalia guy, and this Alfred Simons from... I really have no idea. Hm, later, I found the Hetalia comm on LJ and yeah, been obssessing over it ever since. Ah, yeah, and that friend of mine, I told her about who that guy was... Another one to the fandom, joy.

That was... A year ago. Wow, long time... xD
Back to top Go down
Heracles Karpusi

Heracles Karpusi

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 7:51 pm

There's such wonderful stories before mine and now it's so much lamer then ever XD I don't really remember when I first heard of it, only that I heard of the name and thought it was a weird name and ignored it.

About a year later, I re-discovered it out of boredom and loved it, but then Tsubasa; RESERvior CHRonicLE, CLAMP, Katekyo Hitman Reborn! and One Piece took over my life for a year or two. The only things about it I remembered was Canada being invisible and everything was kind of gay. But I forgot about most everything, as it was my senior year in high school. I was having a lot of issues throughout that year with college and other things.

I didn't actually get back into it until Canada-love asked me if I'd ever heard of Hetalia and I said yes and that Canada was my favorite. Afterword, I looked it up again and read all the comics and watched the anime and was hooked like a fishbad pun.

So.... yeah. It's all kind of Mattie's fault that I'm into it again eheheh.

And Steampunk!Denny would be pretty damn amazing >o<
Back to top Go down
http://chibipandachan.livejournal.com
Arthur Kirkland

Arthur Kirkland

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 11:09 pm

Let's see if I can remember... It's not a very interesting story. >.>

Well, if I'm not mistaken it was during sophomore year and before my AP European History exam, so that would make it sometime in early 2009, perhaps even very late 2008.

I got interested due to seeing fanart all over the place. I also had a friend who told me to watch it, so I checked it out. I fell in love with Hetalia and became quite obsessed, if you haven't noticed.

Then, I went on a campaign to make all my friends (both rl and online) fans of Hetalia. It was incredibly successful, if I do say so myself. So... Now a significant portion of my friends are obsessed with Hetalia thanks to me. XD

As for cosplay, I don't cosplay much. But I have cosplayed as Russia once.

As for rping, I am usually England, Romano, or Russia, but I sometimes branch out to other characters such as America or Italy.
Back to top Go down
Alfred F. Jones

Alfred F. Jones

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 7:08 pm

My story is so boring, orz

A friend started drawing fanart for it. I was in my senior year of high school and barely had any time online, so I had NO idea what had been happening recently. XD So I checked it out.

THE END.

Er, I don't cosplay because I'm shy.

Um, don't do much fanart either, because I can't draw lol but I do fanfics. xD

Um, generally I roleplay the NA twins, occasionally Russia (only in private rps), Belarus (surprisingly fun to play), France (private rps), my Ireland OC and my Mexico OC. I think that's it... xD;;;
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstien

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 2:14 am

Errrmm wellllllll!!!
It was about 2008... and like I was on this site called Advance Anime. Then this girl was posting pictures of people I thought looked hot. She pmed me saying it was "Axis Powers Hetalia" and that they were "America and England" I had NO idea what she was talking about and decided to just forget about it.
Sooner or later about maybe a month or so, I came across more fanart for it. And I was all "WTF IS THIS SHIT." then I googled it! then i found it on yahoo, then I found it on LJ and I was all "D'awwww!!" and read it thinking, Italy and Germany were the cutest things ever! *mainly Italy* Then I got a bit more involved,, joined a forum, made friends with someone who always rped ooc, and I always hated her but had a crush and then got out of that rp group hateing them cuz they werent nice people. Then i got more into it, and saw cosplayers at a con, and was happy for some of them, when i relised that most of the cosplayers were rude and stuck up and assholes, and YUSH. thats mylife. thanks for reading.

=w=
Back to top Go down
William Sanfield

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm not quite sure if I am allowed to post in this if I have not yet submitted an application, instead submitting a few questions to the man I supposed was administrator....
If not, then would a kindly moderator please delete this?

I discovered Hetalia first by Nitelyfe on DeviantArt.
She was big on Percy Jackson at the time which is why I watched her but when I looked through her gallery, I saw this arrangement of people named after countries, and thought it was the most awesome idea ever.
It turned out, however, that she had not created them and it was an anime called Axis Powers Hetalia.

I was always a geek for odd things; Grammar, tuxedo shirts, and golden rimmed glasses. But most of all, I craved cultural aspects, like a wannabe Anthropologist. Stereotypes was another love of mind, almost a weakness I had...

With a love for all things geographical and a thirst for anime, I watched the first few episodes and the rest worked out hook, line, and sinker. It's a bit ironic; at first I did think the drawing style was ugly, and that the anime was a bit silly.
But after a while, who can resist the fastest growing (in popularity) anime in all of Japan?
Back to top Go down
http://xxseraphsanctuaryxx.deviantart.com
Stephen Washington

Stephen Washington

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 3:36 pm

Around 2008, I was poking 'round deviantART and I discovered Hetalia fanart through an artist named Chira-chira.

At first I was like, wait who are these people? America? Canada? Germany?

I didn't think much of it because I fell out of liking anime for a while, and kinda lurked for a while until I finally Googled Hetalia.

That was how I found the Hetalia LJ community. This was during the time when Hetalia wasn't very well known as it is now, and I fell in love with it.

At first I was really into it, but now I'm a lurker and occasionally draw fanart every now and then.

I think it's because I like Hetalia when it's quietly liked. But that doesn't mean I don't cosplay lol.
Back to top Go down
William Sanfield

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 4:59 pm

I see that everyone's rather fell into Hetalia, instead of googling a list of new animes to watch; that is slightly amusing to me.
The best things in life are free, right?
The trick is to get people to watch the first episode or read a few pages; then it's a perfect hook.
Back to top Go down
http://xxseraphsanctuaryxx.deviantart.com
HetaliaLover4Life

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 9:32 am

I remember the first time I actually watched Hetalia~! I was at Otakon 2010, and my sister and friend were telling me about Hetalia. I saw a bunch of cosplayers, but I had no interest for it. But after Otakon, I decided to look it up, and I watched it, and I have been hooked ever since!! I have actually done some cosplays (not the best though... /shot/) for England, Prussia, America, Canada, and I am planning to do Denmark~ I love Denmark with all of my heart and being (HE IS SEXY! /shot again/)~ I wanna do Casual!Denmark, but I haven't had the time to find some pics of him in casual clothes. I also am going to show all of my teachers about Hetalia (I am actually introducing Hetalia to my U.S. History teacher today. Hopefully she likes it...) And next year I have to take World History again (failed it *dies* I didn't know Hetalia then, so that's why.) so I am going to show it to my teachers~ Lol oh yeah excite And I have done roleplay (my own OC, Puerto Rico, who is England's girlfriend, and Prussia, who's.... trying to be with Germany (YES, I APPROVE GERMANSCEST!!! NO FUCKING WAY ) but is failing cuz he's engaged to Italy and whatnot.) Lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover Hetalia?   How did you discover Hetalia? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover Hetalia?
Page 1 of 1